Fast and Free Access To Your Own Voice Commands
For us, Dragon NaturallySpeaking is a remarkable piece of software for many reasons, far too many to go into here. One particularly powerful feature is, of course, adding your own voice commands (scripts) to enable task automation. With a suitable set of scripts and awareness of the software’s capabilities it has long been the case that we are able to control our PCs much faster and more efficiently by using voice as compared to keyboard and mouse.
Perhaps a combination of both methods would be the ideal situation but, for some of us, this is not possible for various reasons. Over the years, we have all built up a number of customised scripts, in some cases thousands, and these are of course invaluable for our day-to-day use of our computer.
However, we have been continually frustrated by the fact that we can never remember all of the names we have assigned to these voice commands (scripts). You can name them as intuitively as you want, for example “say what you see” type names, but all too often we end up forgetting the names and writing duplicate scripts which achieve basically the same task.
ScriptManager is an application that instantly shows us which custom scripts (voice commands) are available for any particular window or application and, additionally, on a separate tab of the GUI (graphical user interface), which global scripts are available. It updates automatically on the change of active window/application and is positioned conveniently at the right hand side of the desktop on your primary monitor (see screenshots on this page). ScriptManager will show you Text and Graphic, Step-By-Step, Macro Recorder, Advanced Scripting, DVC Script and DVC Keys legacy voice scripts (voice commands).
It can be thought of as a similar type application to the Dragon NaturallySpeaking included “What Can I Say” capability. However, it concentrates only on our custom added scripts (and a limited set of scripts provided with DNS) and provides much more convenient functionality and usability.
Consider the following 10 features (all of the features listed below are easily achievable by voice or mouse/keyboard):
- search through the scripts, perhaps looking for a particular script, without taking focus away from our current working application
- show details of a particular script: for example, you may have forgotten what a script does and you would like to see the lines of scripting code or the description information
- for large amounts of scripts, go directly to scripts beginning with particular letters
- optional ability to adjust window positions and sizes automatically so as not to overlap with the ScriptManager
- shows the application title and the window title for the current active window
- easy-to-remember inbuilt voice command names
- updates automatically for a change of active window
- updates automatically when adding new scripts and changing user profiles
- differentiates between “application-specific” and “window specific” scripts as well as “global” scripts
- easily-accessible help screen and information
Perhaps the greatest feature of all is that it is a free download and runs with Dragon NaturallySpeaking Preferred, Professional, Medical and Legal. It currently supports versions 9 and 10 and may work with other versions but we have not tested this retrospectively. It has now been updated to work with the newly released version 11.
Please see some comments below:
- “… what a great housekeeping tool for my customised scripts, I have found scripts that I forgot I had created and eliminated duplicate scripts that process identical tasks…”
- “… actually helps increase productivity simply because I now have at hand my customised scripts that are available, most of which I can never remember the names for previously…”
- “… look forward to when you can edit the scripts directly…”